Monday, June 20, 2005

PERSPECTIVE


Jordanna and I were on our way to my mother's house for the weekend. We were already on board a jeepney when heavy rains started pouring. Jordanna was so upset because to get to her grandma's house, we have to pass through a vacant lot on a lower ground area. On rainy days, rainwater gathers in that particular place so that means we have to wade through ankle-deep muddy water where all sorts of garbage float around. As usual, Jordanna started grumbling about the possibility of contacting leptospirosis from rat excretion in the water. I was worried about it, too, but I had to try and cheer her up or we'll never get to my mother's. Waiting for the water to subside is not an option because if we do that, we are in for a long wait. We carefully picked our way across the flooded area, taking one cautious step after another so that we wouldn't slip on the muddy water. Finally, we got across with Jordanna's "yucks" and "arghs" resonating in my ears.

"Hey, stop for a while", I said. "Don't keep looking down at the ground, look up for a change and tell me what you see." The girl looked at me askance and with raised eyebrows asked, "Mom, are you in one of your strange moods again?" She started laughing then, and I almost pushed her into the flooded area. "Now, just do as I say or you don't get next week's allowance", I threatened. That got her attention alright. And instant obedience. Kids!

"Okay Mom, Let me see, now that it has stopped raining the sky once again looks bright blue and the sun is shining again.", she dutifully recited.

"What else? Look at the trees."

"Well, the leaves look fresh and green", she thoughtfully said. "They looked tired and dull last time we were here."

"That's right," I grinned at her. “After so many days without rain, they tend to look like that. The rain washed away the thick coatings of dust, bringing forth a new life to the plants and trees. Don't you feel that the atmosphere has turned cooler? Can you see the water drops on the leaves' surface sparkling like tiny jewels when the sun's rays touch them?" "Okay, Mom, give me the punch line", she challenged. "No punch line, honey. All I'm saying is that the way you go through life is just a matter of perspective. You were looking down and all you see was the ugliness of the mud puddles and garbage. You looked up and you saw the beauty of the sun, the sky and the trees. In this life, what you see is what you get. You look for what is bad and you will find it. Look for what is good, and it's right there waiting for you. Even the bible tells us this. So you might as well look for what is good and enjoy your journey here.

" 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Phil. 4:8