Monday, January 16, 2006

PAPILLON




It was a balmy night, dark and quiet.. My bare feet flew through the grassy field as I chased after that bright splash of color just ahead of me.. I had this pressing feeling of urgency not to lose that magical being that flits here and there as if looking for something .I lengthened my strides, keeping my eyes glued to it’s graceful movement, oblivious to anything but my desire to catch up with it. Suddenly, I saw it make a slow, graceful circle and alighted on something. I smiled delightedly, and with great anticipation, moved slowly towards the glowing patch of colors.

It was a butterfly! Its wings a wonderful symphony of pink, blue, yellow and green. with sprinklings of silver glitters all over them like fairy dust. I stretched out my hand to gently touch it. But just then, a strong gust of wind blew through the meadow, flattening my long white dress against my body and spilling my hair from its loose knot to tangle across my face. I swept the hair away from my eyes and peered at my butterfly again. It was gone! In its place stood a tall man, unmoving in his stance, his face hidden in the darkness. My heart almost stopped. I stared unblinkingly at his face, like someone in a trance. A slight movement broke the spell, and when I focused, I saw him holding his hand out to me, palm upwards. I slowly lift my trembling hand to him, and when he gripped my fingers protectively, I had a very strong feeling of homecoming. Strange! I tried to shake the feeling, and as I moved jerkily, I felt a sharp pain shoot through my head. I whirled around to check what caused it. A BEDSIDE TABLE????? I was in my bed, the sheets tangled around my legs and one of my pillows was on the floor.