Friday, November 30, 2007

The Man is Back!

The Man is back.


For the first time after the accident, Steve and I were able to talk on the phone and chat on YM without tiptoeing. I wasn’t tiptoeing about his condition, afraid to upset him more than necessary. I slipped up now and then, those 4 weeks, but now, I don’t have to think about what to say or worry about him. And as for Steve, he is more open about how he feels, if he is in pain or if he is bored. He is no longer trying so hard to protect me and to stop me from worrying. This is really great. We both know it’s only a matter of time before he is well enough to travel. And that knowledge has released us both from the tension of the last few weeks.

Steve’s laugh has a different ring to it now - it sounds happy, optimistic and full of life. It’s one of the many things that I like most about him, his laughter. I can be down in the dumps, absolutely miserable, but when Steve starts clowning around and laughing, he carries me along and anything that has upset me is soon forgotten.

We are also back to talking endlessly about almost every topic under the sun., like about us and our plans, family, politics, personal convictions, - oh, anything that catches our interest. Yup, I’m definitely happier and more hopeful that it won’t be long before Steve is home, his real home which is with me.

The days seem long, but brighter. Normal and yet special. Welcome back, hon.