Wednesday, February 16, 2005

FREEDOM

I became a Christian when I was still a student; I was very idealistic, very innocent. Here is something different, I thought. Something perfect, something wonderful. I thought the promised freedom that one can only find in Jesus was a simple thing. Clear-cut. I thought that it will make my life easier and more straightforward. How wrong I was.

As my faith matured, and I learned the principles by which a Christian’s faith is founded, I also learned that my own concept of freedom was at odds with what Jesus had in mind.I should have realized that freedom, with its accompanying responsibility, is even harder to handle than what I thought then were the shackles that kept me from the things I wanted to do.

Freedom, as Jesus intended, was freedom from the condemnation that is our lot if Jesus didn’t come and deliver us. Sin blinds us. It makes us self-centered, our needs and desires proclaiming it our master. But Jesus gives us hope, gives us strength to master the self that is hell-bent on leading us down the road to destruction. He frees us from the grasp of the enemy, and gives us a new insight into a better life that is centered on God.

Freedom in Jesus is a complicated thing. Instead of willfully following our instincts, it teaches us to deny ourselves. It is a life-long struggle, for from time to time, the self will try to reaffirm itself. It will try to follow its instincts to align itself with the goals of the world. But the spirit, regenerated and given authority over the flesh, will not cease to fight for supremacy to bring the whole being into the life that is governed by the will of God.

Freedom, anyone? It is the perfect, working version. Better than what this world has to offer. Take it now or regret it forever.